Women Academy - Community Based Academy for Women Empowerment
Women Academy - Community Based Academy for Women Empowerment has been established in 2006 in Dahr El Mogher/Qobbeh/Tripoli in the aim of empowering women of marginalized areas and enhancing their sense of a responsible citizenship towards the issues of city & country at the individual/collective levels. The center is the main place of execution of the Woman Program in order to implement initiatives, offer daily activities as well to execute largest projects funded by external donors. The center moved to Seraya Atika, Old Tripoli in 2015.
The Women Academy is opened for free access for children and women from surroundings. It is a safe place for them, especially those far from any student, social or economic opportunities. There, they can benefit from different kind of activities to get information, build their skills or simply to pull up. The center is managed by a group of social workers and social animators. In addition, a local committee of volunteers that are in daily contact with the inhabitants is committed to share knowledge and social activities in their community inside or outside the center.
Through or besides these initiatives the center’s team is providing the following services :
- Socio-economic empowerment (including rapid vocational training in sewing, embroidery, basics of management, basics of English and ICT, etc.)
- Personal, group and community empowerment (including peace building, life skills, local committees’ work, etc.)
- Educational and psycho-social support.
- Awareness raising activities (including female health, nutrition, parental skills, environmental protection, etc.)
- Citizen participation support mechanisms.